Friday, August 9, 2013

What's Behind Door Number 1 - Fear

You're making steps towards wherever it is you want to be in life and feeling pretty darn good about it, too. You get a knock on the door and you're so busy grinning all over yourself you fling the door wide open without hesitation.

There on your doorstep...smirking...is Fear.

It sucks up all of your confidence, swag, and ambition and replaces it with a full blown panic attack, that leaves you muttering to yourself: WTF am I doing? I can't handle this. It's too much!

Yeah, Fear is good at what it does. It almost got me today. Almost.

Then, I remembered one of my favorite quotes from Iyanla Vanzant:

"Don't give up five minutes before your miracle."

Whenever I feel Fear creeping up like a parasitic vine, I remember those words. I don't know where the writing world is going to lead me, but I don't want to give up before I find out either.

Imagine the biggest opportunity of your dreams lining itself up for you right this minute and its scheduled to get to you on Tuesday, but you never receive it because you gave up on Monday.

I'm not saying Fear won't be back, it's sneaky like that. But, when it's on your doorstep sneering and asking, "What the eff are you doing?"

Say, "I'll tell you when my miracle comes in." And slam the door.

2 comments:

  1. Great advice. FEAR...False Evidence Appearing Real. What you fear controls you. Just take baby steps to overcoming fear and it will leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We put fear at bay when we just decide to do the very thing that we fear. Just like Shawn wrote, baby steps can manifest progress, too! Embrace your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete