Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tattooed Past


Mickey Mouse tattoo…yup, this is what I’ve been sporting for 15 years. On my arm of all places. Do I regret it? Heck yeah. If I had to do it all over again, would I not? Please, next question.

Sometimes we all need a little reminder of where we came from and what we’ve overcome. Mine is Mickey Mouse. I got it at a point in my life where I was stuck on stupid, immature, irrational, and plain old “going nowhere”. And boy, did I think I was doing something at that time. *rolling my eyes at myself* My friends were actually doing something, going places. The only thing I was doing was being dumb as hell! If I could somehow manage to go back and meet myself I’m sure I’d just punch myself in the face…that’s how irritatingly dumb I was.

A few days ago it hit me. Yes, Mickey is a visual reminder of my dumbness. But, he’s also a visual reminder of who I am NOT. The ink is tattooed on my arm, just like my past is tattooed in my life. It ain’t going nowhere, but that doesn’t mean I still have to be. And, yes, I’ll be the 80-year-old woman with a wrinkly smudge of a cartoon character on her bony arm, but I’m cool with that. He was there when I was dumb and I’m glad I could show him I “got some sense”.

So many people try to sweep their past under the rug or wish it away. Hiding it doesn’t make it unseen. Ignoring it doesn’t negate it. Not talking about it doesn’t silence its voice. Your past is still there whether you acknowledge it or not.

Take some time to reflect upon the Past You and the Now You.

Is there a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment